What is PHP-FPM?
PHP-FPM (FastCGI Process Manager) is an alternative PHP FastCGI implementation with some additional features useful for sites of any size, especially busier sites.
These features include:
* Adaptive process spawning (NEW!)
* Basic statistics (ala Apache’s mod_status) (NEW!)
* Advanced process management with graceful stop/start
* Ability to start workers with different uid/gid/chroot/environment and different php.ini (replaces safe_mode)
* Stdout & stderr logging
* Emergency restart in case of accidental opcode cache destruction
* Accelerated upload support
* Support for a “slowlog”
* Enhancements to FastCGI, such as fastcgi_finish_request() – a special function to finish request & flush all data while continuing to do something time-consuming (video converting, stats processing, etc.)
… and much more.
It was not designed with virtual hosting in mind (large amounts of pools) however it can be adapted for any usage model.
Uncomplete nginx practice: